Some links; I hope you enjoy them.
- The Reddit AMA with Mike Brown is worth a browse if you have the time, but you’ll need to expand all the subthreads to get the most out of it, and that’s tedious, so I’ll understand if you give it a miss. I thought the thread would be automatically expanded to show all comments by the guest of honour, but no such luck.
- Intriguing research into how English and German speakers describe scenes.
- Interesting article on dolphin intelligence and communication.
- Magnificent Antarctica and iceberg photography video.
- The sounds in this video were generated from the solar wind. I strongly advise listening with headphones. With the volume reasonably low and your eyes closed, it’s probably suitable for meditation.
I recently bought a couple of drinks from a local bottle shop, because I enjoy experimenting with cocktails from time to time, subject to the constraints of fridge space and affordability. The drinks I chose were Frangelico and a small bottle of Baileys. Meanwhile I’ve used up the last of my Opal Nera.
From the Internet I see that the cocktail consisting of Opal Nera and Baileys (layered 50/50) is traditionally known as “Black Nipple”, but the name that came to my mind was “Elephant Hide”. The Opal Nera spontaneously spouts up into the layer of Baileys above it, creating a dynamic swirling pattern with the Baileys resembling grey elephant skin and the Opal Nera its dark wrinkles. I think the ideal ratio is 3 parts Opal Nera to 4 parts Baileys. It tastes fine (Baileys with an extra oomph) but the appeal is primarily visual.