My pick of the Internet’s best links from the last month or so. As ever, leave a comment if you’d like to have a conversation about any of them.
- A deaf woman’s interesting and very personal essay about lip-reading.
- Dinosaur that survived Tyrannosaurus attack.
- Fascinating snapshot into history: Book by 19th century author who believed in mythical beasts.
- The Planck results as described by Phil Plait. Plus another take with info on what’s yet to come.
- Possible solution to the mystery of African fairy circles.
- Record broken for world’s lightest solid. Would like some to play with.
- Fascinating phenomenon involving glass.
- Hypothetical question involving a faecal transplant and zombies.
- Why dragonflies are posed to take over the world.
- Interesting radio segment about the early days of Doctor Who.
- Among the best podcast episodes I listened to recently was “Our Tasteless Show” from Big Picture Science (March 11). I learned something interesting from almost every interview, although I thought the “what do aliens eat?” segment was unconvincing.
- Sesame Street’s Count outdoes himself.
- Love this subversion of the comic form.
- Space haiku (note: I posted a comment).
- How to eat an infinite amount of chocolate.
- Zygons returning for Doctor Who 50th anniversary special. The Zygons had one of the best-loved costumes in the history of the show, yet never returned for a second story. Their main weakness in the original serial was overconfidence.
- Scientific sandpit.
- Clothes for women who’d like to be Martians. (I just like the first image; don’t care for the rest.)
- Ultimate musical dogs video.
- Cuteness photo of the month. (Though it should be noted that hiding in a box of chocolates is antithecal to the whole point of camouflage.)
- Very few articles about the Pope are worth sharing, but this short one struck me as notable.
- Now that I have a faster Internet connection, I’ve caught up with a few things including the TED Talks Youtube channel. Some favourites from the last few months:
“The cheap all-terrain wheelchair” — recorded June 2012, uploaded November 2012
“Israel and Iran: A love story?” — recorded September 2012, uploaded December 2012
“Why domestic violence victims don’t leave” — recorded November 2012, uploaded January 2013
(Honourable mention: “The way we think about charity is dead wrong” — March 2013. This felt padded and repetitious, but makes a point worth thinking about.)
- I didn’t do the final version, but I had a hand in this design (mostly in choosing the component images).
- Was recently reminded of this gravity simulator. Last time I played with it I couldn’t get a secondary body in stable orbit, but this time I succeeded. Tell me in a comment if you can do the same.
- When I was in Kangaroo Island I bought a bottle of this honey liqueur. The best cocktail recipe I’ve come up with is as follows: One part honey liqueur, one part orange juice, two parts coconut water (about 5% alcohol per volume, as the liqueur is 20%). Incidentally, the oil painting I bought on Kangaroo Island will be delivered next Monday.