Here are some interesting things that attracted my attention over the last fortnight.
- On using the sun’s gravitational lens to communicate with hypothetical stellar probes.
- Mars Science Lab as an action hero.
- Sun-like stars around which planets have been detected are characteristically low in lithium.
- Different types of short-term memory.
- Observations on time-space synaesthesia.
- Influencing the learning process while people sleep.
Geology and Palaeontology:
- Primordial oceans not so hot.
- A cold-blooded mammal! Pity it’s extinct.
- A variety of fossil crocodiles. I found pictures here, but that site is not in English.
Mathematics and Microscopy:
- Mandelbulb: the quest for an aesthetically-pleasing 3D Mandelbrot analogue. Before reading the full article, tease yourself with the following selection of images. [1, 2, 3, 4, 5].
- A lovely illustration revealing the relative sizes of small things.
Social and Medical:
- More of a social awareness thing than interesting stuff, but here’s a summary of an issue pertaining to the assumption of innocence.
- One in a long list of genetic diseases I’m glad I don’t have. Like something from a movie. (More.)